I am walking the Camino de Santiago this summer and will be required to carry my backpack for 40 days straight, 6-8 hours a day! I am adding this workout at least once a week leading up to the trip to help prepare my body. This workout targets your legs, core and upper back.
Equipment: weighted vest or backpack, bench, dumbbells, mat
Program: 10-12 reps each x 3 set. Rest about a 30 seconds between sets. Rest about a minute before moving onto the next exercise. Start light with your load. The vest I’m wearing is 10 lbs.
- Bench step-ups with knee lift (R, then L) — option to add additional resistance in the form of dumbbells
- Bench step-downs (R, then L) — option to add additional resistance in the form of dumbbells
- Rotating upward chop w/dumbbell (R, then L)
- Squat, curl, overhead press combo
- Side plank with hip dips
- Plank walk (switch lead arm halfway through set)
- Elevated single-leg bridge